Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wernher Qualification Adventures

Yesterday, Sean and I managed to qualify for the Wernher Open Pairs finals. The evening session was overall one of the worst sessions of bridge I have played in awhile but we were dealt about a 66% game so were okay to survive. However I did play one hand well, good for 21.5 out of 25. RHO opened 1C, I overcalled 1NT, and we staymaned to 4S. Really, though, getting to 4S and avoiding the singleton spade lead was the good part. I had already gone down on a cold contract by trying to beer and this time I wasn't going to be deluded into taking an inferior line of play to possibly beer.
Dealer: N
Vul: Both
North
♠ 5
♥ JT84
♦ Q954
♣ JT97
West
♠ 9642
♥ AK5
♦ 63
♣ AK64
East
♠ QT73
♥ 73
♦ AKJ87
♣ 52
South
♠ AKJ8
♥ Q962
♦ T2
♣ Q83
North dutifully led the J of clubs and the play proceeded, club AK, club ruff, diamond AK, heart AK, heart ruff, diamond. South has no counter to this. if he doesn't ruff, I ruff low, then ruff a club with the 10 and my 9 will score a trump trick at the end. If he ruffs with the 8, I overruff and do the same thing. If he ruffs with the J, I discard my club and he can only take his two top trumps. It's kind of an interesting position. A trump lead allows the defense to play 4 rounds of trumps and make it a notrump contract, which has virtually no chance to make besides the pseudo-squeeze possibilities.

1 comment: