Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Teaching Bridge

Unfortunately, I live in an area where the demand for bridge teachers is very low. While the local Wednesday night bridge game regularly has 13 tables, it had been difficult to recruit new dupllicate players in the Macon/Warner Robins area.

This past spring, I offered an 8-week series on beginning bridge free of charge. The ACBL and the local duplicate bridge club paid for advertising and instructor fees. We advertised in all the local newspapers and through word of mouth and wound up with 12 people the first week. Not bad for this being the first formal bridge class in this area in the 2+ years I have been here. 10 people managed to stick to it all the way to the end of the beginners course, but only 2 have since played at the duplicate club.

I started another free beginnig bridge series on September 14 and have had 7 participants. In a area of 200,000, including Macon, Warner Robins, and Perry, I guess that's about what would be expected. Any other ideas of how to get more people interested? Would trying to work with the schools to maybe teach maybe the math team work? I've seen that it cen definitely work in Atlanta but there is a much larger base of people.

I am an ACBL certified teacher and club director. I would be willing to teach online on Bridge Base, play a session and provide hand analysis/feedback to a student.

1 comment:

  1. More about Andre in the news at http://www.robins.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123165104

    ReplyDelete