Saturday, January 1, 2011

Post Mortem

Is it just me or are people less interested in going out to dinner and going over all the hands in detail than they used to be? The post mortem over a nice dinner has always been one of my favorite parts of a bridge tournament. Maybe it's a sign that i'm hanging out with people who aren't as interested in improving their game and learning from their mistakes (and others' mistakes). If you aren't interested in going over the hands after most sessions of bridge at a tournament, I am probably not interested in playing with you. What kind of attitude makes one want to play bridge but then not try to have an intellectual discussion about the game later. That's how you learn. It's one of the best ways to improve at bridge - go out to dinner after the game with your partner and some other (better) players and discuss the hands regardless of whether you had. 65% or 45% game, as long as you have the maturity to not fight much in the process.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that discussing the hands can be instructive and fun. Sometimes, however, there are people having dinner with you who didn't play the same hands that you did, or people who don't play bridge at all. It has been my experience that this doesn't stop many bridge players from discussing the hands that they alone played. I find this very rude. I would also like to have a dinner conversation that includes something other than bridge, when the rest of my day is spent concentrating on bridge hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, well I was more referring to the fact that for the most part, my team had no expectation of going to dinner together, as I thought was kind of assumed. And maybe sometime soon they'll have pre-duplicated boards for KOs so people in different KOs and pair games can play the same boards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one reason that i liked bridge 30 years ago when most games were matchpoints with everyone playing the same hands and you could yell at other tables of players and tell them what your partner bid on board 21 and get a humorous response.

    ReplyDelete