Monday, October 17, 2011

Pinning Ten doubleton and squeezing on the same deal

For once, I can say I have a clear favorite deal from a tournament. Playing with Bob Pearson, we won the Swiss at the Valdosta tournament Oct 9 with my dad and Larry Hayslip, then won the Saturday afternoon pair game this past weekend at the Athens tournament, then tied for 2nd in the Swiss in Athens (teaming with Jimmy Fordham and Enrico Beretta). Not a bad string of games even if the quality of competition was only slightly better than the club.
 
This deal comes from the 25 table pair game we won with a 65.51% score. (hands rotated for convenience)
 
Dealer: N
Vul: NS
North
-
AKQT942
KJ94
A3
West
QJ94
83
T7
KJ954
East
AT8
J65
Q862
T87
South
K76532
7
A53
Q62
 
West
North
East
South
 
 
1
Pass
1
 
 
Pass
3
Pass
3NT
 
 
Pass
Pass
Pass
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I probably would have jump-shifted to 3 with Bob's hand and probably would have pulled 3NT to 4 but then I wouldn't have had the chance for this great play.
 
West led a low club, which went around to my queen. It's a fortunate lead for me but still fairly normal. I proceeded to test hearts, and when I saw that they were would run, I led the J, not wanting to make all of my discards yet. This diamond play keeps the dangerous opponent off lead (east is the dangerous opponent because a spade through my K could be fatal) while potentially setting up a third diamond trick. When the J held the trick, I cashed the CA and ran hearts, hoping for a squeeze against east. Here is the position with the last heart to be played.
 
Dealer: N
Vul: NS
North
-
2
K94
-
West
immaterial
East
A
-
Q86
-
South
K
-
A3
6
 
Since east started with 4 diamonds to the Q and the A, I was able to take all of the tricks. East can't pitch a spade or my SK will be my 13th trick, but if he pitches a diamond, dummy's low diamond will win the 13th trick. Kinda cute. Sean will appreciate this – I know how he loves pinning ten doubletons. Here is one time when it is clearly the right play.
 
Yes, east could break up the squeeze by covering the J with the Q – that would cut off the entry to my hand so the K no longer is a threat card and east would be able to win trick 13 with the 9. However, covering looks and feels wrong.
 
Actually either opponent could be squeezed – if west started with Txxx and A, he would be equally squeezed despite having the A behind the K because in the 3 card ending, I can still hold both the spade threat and the diamond threat.

2 comments:

  1. I do appreciate a good pinning of a Ten. What's more impressive: pinning a T then squeezing someone or squeezing someone down to Tx and pinning it?

    ReplyDelete