Monday, April 22, 2013

Gatinburg Squeeze/Endplay


I only made it to Gatlinburg for the weekend. I thought I had a reasonable plans for the weekend but all such plans somehow fell though and I would up playing the Saturday-Sunday KO with Jim, Wendy, and Tom, who kept me down in bracket 3 (out of 4). It’s kind of amazing how much attendance drops off – the KO that started Friday had 15 brackets but only 4 in the KO starting Saturday. The midnight games were fun as always as well and I was on the winning team both nights. I also enjoyed playing against a Quebecois couple thrice in full KO and found a new favorite liquor - Fireball (cinnamon whiskey). This was an interesting declarer play problem from Sunday.

Dealer: N
Vul: None
North
J8
T9xx
Q
KT98xx




South
KT7x
QJ8x
AKx
Qx
West
North
East
South
Pass
2
Pass
Pass
3
Pass
3NT
Pass
Pass
Pass






Dummy wasn’t as promising as I expected but there’s still a play for 3NT. 4 has no play being off 4 tops plus a spade ruff and a possible club ruff. The play started with a low spade to the A, then Q to my K with LHO discarding a discouraging diamond.

My Q held trick 3 and LHO rose with the A for trick 4 as RHO shed a spade. Next was a diamond to dummy, taking out the entry to the clubs. There appear to be 9 tricks via 2 spades, 2 hearts, 3 diamonds, and 2 clubs if I knock out the heart honors now. The last 2 hearts would provide the transportation to cash the K in dummy and the pointed honors in hand. I can’t afford to cash any of those before the hearts are knocked out because that would set up the defense’s 5th trick to go along with the A, AK, and A. However, my HQ was allowed to win trick 6 so I have to arrange some sort of squeeze/endplay or have the good fortune of LHO having both heart honors and no 4th diamond.

Not quite sure where I wanted to end up after the last heart, I played low to the T and RHO’s K at trick 7. She continued diamonds. Now I play LHO for the A so cash the T at trick 9. LHO is known to have to discard from -, A, xx, Jx. Obviously he can’t throw a heart but if he throws a diamond, I cash my last diamond and throw him in with a heart, forcing him to give dummy the last 2 club tricks. If he throws a club, I play HJ to throw him before taking the last diamond with the HT as an entry to the now-good clubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment