Thursday, October 22, 2009

Planning for the fall Nationals

A couple of weeks ago, I was planning out some upcoming vacations. This weekend I am going to Pittsburgh, but not for bridge, and next week I am going to a regional in Augusta, GA, and a couple of weeks later to the District 7 NAPs in Spartanburg, and it was kind of assumed that I would go with my parents to San Diego over Thanksgiving weekend.

I've actually attended the fall nationals more than either of the other because it always is in conjunction with an already-long weekend. And we don't have a big family, at least not near home, so we normally don't feel an obligation to go see them. but my parents were excited about their upcoming cruise on the Danube River next week, and they tried to convince me to just go on a 3 or 4 day Caribbean cruise with them that Thursday through Sunday.

Fortunately it didn't take much convincing that San Diego would be more fun. Nationals are really just about the most fun thing in the world if for no other reason than the midnight games that have gone out of style at regionals and seeing all the junior bridge players. This will be my 4th fall NABC and 9th NABC overall. The only problem with the fall nationals is that there usually isn't a major event to play in when I can go. Well, the LM pairs is Fri-Sat, so you'll find me there, with my dad. But when I go to tournaments with my dad, I don't go to win so much but rather as a family vacation. And my mom, who doesn't play bridge, probably loves it even more because she spends the afternoons shopping and exploring the city. So, I'm very much looking forward to the San Diego trip, but I am disappointed that I'll only be there 3 days. Someday I will be able to take more time off of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment