Monday, February 1, 2010

Auctions After 1M-Dbl: Bromad

I suppose the standard treatment of responder's actions after 1M-X is:
1NT non-forcing
2m natural non-forcing
1S natural, forcing
XX almost any hand w/ 10+ hcp
2NT limit raise or better


I have several issues with this, mainly the 2m and XX calls.
Even when you happen to have a hand that fits the description of natural non-
forcing, would you really want to bid it. What's the rush in
bidding a new suit when rho has ostensibly shown support for all unbid? With those kinds of hands - 5 or 6 card suit and 6-9 hcp w/o support for partner's suit - it's usually better to pass and see how the auction develops.

Likewise, I think redouble should deny 3 card
support so that you can be more sure about future penalty doubles by
either partner. Redouble shows interest in defending but when you have
3 card support for partner's major, you do not have interest in
defending, at least not below 2 or your suit, especially at imps.
Often times I have found myself having redoubled with 3 card support only
to hear partner double 2D and knowing whether to leave it in with xx
or something like thy in diamonds is just hard because the extra
suppet means I have less defense than partner is entitled to expect.

With Emory, I play Bromad (Bergen raises over
major after double):
2C constructive raise of M (3 card support, good 7-10hcp)
2D limit raise with 3
3C/D are still normal Bergen raises
2M weak raise (0-bad 7)
1NT is non-forcing 6-9
XX is 10+ w/o 3 card support

That is my preferred method.

Another method I play with a regular partner is transfer responses:
1S if available is natural,forcing
1NT, 2C are transfers to C and D
Transfer into the major is a limit raise
A simple raise is normal
XX is again reserved for hands without 3 card support

The latter system still allows you to bid a new suit but it gets the
doubler, the stronger hand, on lead instead of having the lead come
through opener.

Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. What is 2NT in these systems? (This is our limit-plus bid.)

    Also, I have to take issue with your comment about 1M-X-2m in standard bidding. It seems to me that responder will NOT usually be on lead if the opponents buy the contract--usually the takeout doubler's partner names his suit and becomes declarer. The 1M opener will be happy to hear which of dummy's strengths are safest to lead through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacoby 2NT.
    umm. yeah, I was having several thoughts merge together. that should have been more of an argument for playing transfers, to keep opener as the declarer instead of having the opening lead come through declarer. There are definitely advantages to all methods, but I have recently decided I like Bromad the best and transfer responses second best.

    ReplyDelete