Friday, April 8, 2011

3-3 Fit ftw

What was life like pre-bridge? I mean, what the heck did I do with all my free time before I played bridge? Or at least before I played bridge so much? Was I just bored a lot? I dunno. I still watch lots of TV and do athletic things and have plenty of time to sit around and do nothing. I certainly have not reached a stage where “bridge = life” – I hope I never do, and I do put forth some effort to do social things that don’t revolve around bridge like playing tennis, going to bars and meeting low-lifes (Hillery is still the only person I've first met at a bar who has actually been a good influence on me and that was almost 4 years ago!), and flirting with my favorite waitress at Cheddar's.

The truth is that I frequently feel uncomfortable in a setting with non-bridge players but rarely feel uncomfortable with bridge players. Bridge gives us something to talk about, and there’s rarely a time that I don’t have a few hands rolling around in my head that I can mention at a lull in the conversation. I find my mind more and more wandering off into bridge land during breaks in the conversation, and that really does not interest anyone who doesn’t play bridge. Actually, it only interests people who play bridge well. There was a time - 2nd and 3rd years at GT and 2008, perhaps my 3 happiest years so far - when I felt more like a normal person and I'm trying to remember how I did that.

I’ve gone out and about in Warner Robins a lot more than usual this week and several people have surprised me this week, I have surprised myself with how I reacted, and I’m mostly not happy about it all. I got pretty frustrated last night and not feeling so great today emotionally. But I have a flight to Charlottesville in a few hours and that should be a fun trip. Or maybe just a really awkward one. I dunno. I’ll leave you with a fun hand from Tuesday night.
Dealer: W
Vul: NS
North
AKJ
J
AKQ64
AQ72
West
9762
AT9653
T2
K
East
853
KQ72
J73
984
South
QT4
84
985
JT653


West
North
East
South
2
X
Pass
2NT
Pass
3
X
Pass 
Pass
4
X
4
Pass
Pass
Pass

I think I have all the important cards correct here. I certainly don’t condone making a habit of bidding games on 3-3 fits but this time it worked out pretty well. Of course, 6 of either minor is pretty easy to make and 4S can probably be beaten if the defense plays hearts at every opportunity, even if it gets to be a sluff and ruff. However, west led his singleton. Emory won with the ace in dummy and played another high club. West ruffed, shortening himself to the same number of trumps as everyone else. Now he could draw all the trumps and have a bunch of good minor suit cards.

In the bidding, 2NT was Lebensohl – in this case, Emory had intended to pass 3C. 3H showed lots of extra values, pass over 3HX should suggest no long suit and probably no 4 card spade suit. My 4H bid should again be passing the decision back to south and would have been appropriate if I had 4-1-4-4 distribution. Eh.

2 comments:

  1. I guess it is "possible" that I would bid 2NT (lebensohl) with a 4 card spade suit, but I think it is very unlikely.

    ReplyDelete