Monday, April 25, 2011

Changes but not really

So, I am officially the editor of the local bridge newsletter. It's like the acbl bulletin but way smaller. And a volunteer job.

And I'm officially starting a new job sometime soon. It's still at Robins AFB - I'm just waiting on the higher ups to finalize the transfer and fill out the required paper work. I'm looking forward to it.

I've played quite a bit of bridge this past week and have several score cards filled with circles and notes and hand diagrams that I may get around to writing about this week.

I've decided something else about living here. It's not so bad. Yes, I am deprived of lots of good restaurants and bars that I still love in Atlanta, and the better competition of the Atlanta bridge club during the week but it helps keep those things special to me. I mean, would I really still like Chipotle and Tin Drum as much as I do if they were available to me every day? Maybe, but probably not. I would need to find a new weekend hobby because driving to Atlanta to visit a restaurant and a bar and get a meal or two to take home wouldn't be an adventure anymore. It's the same logic as why it probably wouldn't be fun to play bridge full time - it wouldn't be as exciting. I just wish I still had a good friend to visit in Atlanta. Damn all you Techies who moved to Seattle and Houston and Pittsburgh and Hong Kong and Dubai.

I guess the same can be said about getting married - once you get married, you don't have that variety that you may or may not have as a single person so you wind up having to find other hobbies to have a new adventure because dating your spouse isn't as exciting as it was when dates were weekly rather than daily.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty sure Megan didn't marry me for the excitement.

    And remember, it could be worse--you could live in New Jersey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting way of looking at life. I have heard all sides of this situation. And the perceptions change with age. I enjoy hearing young people think about romance, career goals, hobbies, and philosophy of life. Lean forward.

    ReplyDelete